I am using QNAP QSW-M408 and QSW-M1208 10G switches at home and here is a very brief pros and cons:
- performance is OK for home use
- basic management, VLAN functions etc.
- NBASE-T support (not only 1G and 10G, but also 2.5G, 5G etc.)
- SFP+ and RJ45 combo ports
- simple management UI (but also see the Cons item)
- you cannot set a management VLAN, it is always VLAN 1, not a major issue but still something to be aware of
- no port mirroring, I think this is the most important missing feature for me
- no L3 features, but I do not need them, I do not use routing on switches
- too simple management UI, VLAN assigment screen can be improved, there is a need to be able to define aliases or write descriptions for ports and VLANs
- there is a serial console or RJ45 management port, but it is not supposed to be operated by the user I think, there is not much documentation. so you need to be a little extra careful or you might need to reset the device to factory defaults.
Do I recommend it ?
For a home or a very small office (a few people, 1-2 rooms) deployment, yes, as long as you do not need port mirroring or L3 features. For advanced uses (again port mirroring and L3) and in larger than very small office deployments, I would consider more expensive alternatives.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.